Essential oils for Newborns and Babies
By Rachel: HealingInOurHomes.com
I absolutely adore babies – which is probably good since I had 5 of my own. I was actually very pregnant with my 5th when I discovered very high quality essential oils and I enjoyed using them while pregnant and also through all her stages so far. Children are such precious blessings. Essential oils can be a huge help to you as a mother ~ you’ll be ready for anything!
It’s also important to use nothing but the most pure and safe, therapeutic-grade essential oils because store-bought oils can have solvents, pesticides, synthetics and other chemicals. You cannot tell by looking at the label. Remember everything we put onto our skin also goes into our body. That’s why we trust the company we use for our children because they are so thoroughly tested to be free of pesticides, fillers and contaminants.
Essential oils should be used minimally and only as needed for the first 3 months.
We dilute for little ones to avoid irritation or sensitization, to aid in absorption and also to expose the babies to a lower amount of the oils. While our pure oils are very safe, the liver can only process so much at a time so there’s no reason to overdo or waste money by using them undiluted.
For newborns/infants/babies, dilute 1 drop of essential oil per 1 tablespoon of carrier oil
So what are the most gentle oils for your newborn or infant? *
Appropriately diluted, these oils can be used from birth:
- Roman Chamomile
- Calming Blend
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree oil)
*Many other oils can be used safely. These are the oils I’ve found to be most gentle. Use all essential oils at your own discretion.
Single oils to save until they are older : Cassia, Cinnamon, Oregano, Peppermint. These oils can all be extremely irritating to the skin and/or irritating for new and tiny respiratory systems. These oils are less of an issue as part of a blend but typically can be substituted with a more gentle oil from the list above. Always use your own discretion, experience and resources in making these choices for your child.
Common Baby Issues and Solutions:
1. Calming: Dilute Lavender, Roman Chamomile or the Calming Blend and apply to the feet and on your chest if you are holding them to promote relaxation. You can wipe extra on their blanket/clothes (we’ve found that our pure, quality oils and their fractionated coconut oil do not stain ~ yay!). Diffusing with a diffuser is also very helpful as well as daily infant massage.
2. Digestive support : Dilute 1 drop each of lavender and orange in 2 Tablespoons of carrier oil and rub baby’s tummy in a clockwise direction for at least 30 seconds for digestive support. Apply every 15-30 minutes until their tummy is settled.
3. Booboo Love: Frankincense promotes healthy cellular function so it's a great choice. It's my go-to oil when a child comes to me. Learning to roll, crawl and walk can be precarious sometimes!
4. Skin: Dilute 1 drop each of Lavender and Melaleuca in unrefined or fractionated coconut oil or Lanolin (I love lanolin for rashes and dry skin!) to soothe the skin. Apply each time you change their diaper. I like to use a glass spray bottle for this. Use damp, soft paper towels to wipe or rinse your wipes well before using to avoid any further irritating of the rash with chemicals.
5. Teething: Use diluted Lavender, Roman Chamomile or the Calming Blend along the jawline as often as every 15-30 minutes to soothe. For older babies, I've used diluted Clove (our pure therapeutic, thoroughly tested oil brand only), 1 drop in 1 oz of Vegetable glycerin and applied to gums to numb them without chemicals!
6. Ears*: Dilute Lavender and Melaleuca and apply around the ear (never put oils IN the ear) frequently, massaging down towards the lymph nodes to encourage drainage. You can also use the diluted oils on a cotton ball placed in the ear – use a bandaid to help keep it in place. *Please always supervise your baby when using a cotton ball and/or bandaid to make sure they do not get either into their mouths.
7. Respiratory support: Dilute Melaleuca and Lemon and apply to the chest, back and feet several times an hour. A combo of Frankincense and Lavender can be very helpful when the chest is tight and loud.
Healthy Homemade Baby Wipes
What You Need:
1 roll premium paper towels
2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
3 drops Lavender essential oil
3 drops Melaleuca essential oil
An airtight storage container/empty wipe container/wet bag
* Use cloth for reusable wipes.
Cut paper towel roll in half with a serrated or electric knife. Use half the roll now, and half later. Combine water, Fractionated Coconut Oil, and essential oils in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the paper towels and then cover with the airtight lid letting the mixture absorb for 10 minutes. Turn the container over and let sit for another 10 minutes. Remove and discard the cardboard middle. Just pull the wipes from the center when you are ready to use. Store in container of your choice. Tip: For on-the-go wipes, insert 15-20 wipes into travel size wipe container.
I can’t imagine taking care of our crew without our essential oils anymore. We love them! Choose a gentle oil for your little one and they will love it.